Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fatshion: fun to type, but difficult to say (or, I review my first time at Torrid)

So today, due to work-related madness, I found myself in a position to actually make it out to the one place in my area where they've deigned to put a Torrid store. (Seriously, is it because they think we're all farmers who don't care about fashion, or is it because they think we're all skinny? Perhaps from all the farming we do. Give me more cute clothes that fit me, damn it!)

All in all, I thought it was all right. Bought a pair of dark wash skinny jeans, which was the whole reason for my trip in the first place and therefore more successful than at least 75% of my shopping expeditions. I also managed to score a couple of skinny belts for large-shirt-cinching purposes and two new cardigans, one of which is bright red and has a hood. This last might actually represent everything I could ever want in an article of clothing.

ETA: The only thing that could possibly make this sweater any better is if it had pockets. Torrid, call me. I'm doing you a solid. A gift card would not go unappreciated.

Unfortunately--and I don't know if this at all common for Torrid--the store was fairly small so the selection was rather limited. Also disappointing was the color selection. Now, I like grays and muted tones as much as the next girl, but alas, the feeling isn't mutual. When wearing them I tend to look like a three-day-old corpse, which is not actually the look I'm going for. (Though it would make for an interesting Halloween costume, I suppose.) There was very little in the way of bright colors there, my new red sweater being a notable exception. Now, like I said, I have no idea how much of this is just representative of the vagaries of this particular location. Nor can I really say how much of the color choice is due to current fashion trends vs. business as usual. All in all, though, there wasn't really enough there to make me feel like the hour-and-a-half drive (that's per leg, btw, not round-trip) is worth it more than very occasionally.

That said, their rewards program is quite nice, and I'll probably order jeans from their online store if nothing else. (I've been burned too many times to trust ordering things I've never actually tried on.) It's definitely something to keep an eye on, and a good resource for skinny jeans and the occasional bitchin' red sweater.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I found my way over here via your lj. I have been a fan of your fics for a while. I am really enjoying your blog. It is so nice to read about how other girls are going through the same things as I am. I am really tring to own m body and feel attractive and sexy no matter what dress size I wear. This is a constant challenge, but something I am continuing to work on.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! ^_^ I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this little project of mine!

    I know exactly what you mean. It -is- a constant challenge, a constant struggle, but man, the moments when you succeed? Freakin' FANTASTIC.

    ReplyDelete